About the Lab
The lab exercises used in this class were developed by Dr. Wenliang Du and his students under the support of the National Science Foundation’s Course, Curriculum, and Laboratory Improvement (CCLI) program ( Award No. 0618680 and 0231122). You can find more about the lab exercises at the SEED project page. NC State University serves as an evaluator of the lab materials in the SEED project.
Lab VM image
The lab exercises have been set up and packaged in a Virtual Machine (VM) image. You can either download the VM image and play with it on your own computer, or access it through VCL.
- Download the VM image at http://188.8.131.52/SEEDUbuntu9_August_2010.tar.gz. Related information about this image can be found here.
- Access the lab VM image by making a reservation at VCL. You should make a reservation using the image for CSC 474 Network Security (image name: CSC474_SEED). We have put three SEEDUbuntu VMs under C:\CSC474-Labs. All three VMs are the same. You can use any one or a combination of them. When you start any of the VMs, you need to take the ownership. You will be asked if you have moved or copied the image. Choose "I have copied it". These VMs are the same as the one you can dowload. Related information about this image can be found in the same document .
Lab descrption (Note the new deadlines)
- Lab 1: TCP/IP Attacks (Due by 11:45pm on 04/21/11)
- The 2nd lab session
- Lab 2: DNS Pharming Attacks (Due by 11:45pm on
- Lab 3: Cross-site Scripting (XSS) Attacks (Optional; up to 4 pts extra credit; Due by 11:45pm on 05/02/11)
- All questions about the labs should be directed to the TA.