Requirements for Research/Survey Paper Proposal
(20 points, 20% of the project)
You may form a group with up to 3 members. Each group must submit a proposal
for the term paper. The proposal must have a title page, main content, and references.
The proposal should be single-column, 1 inch margins, 11-point size, and
single-spaced. There is no space limit.
The proposal is due in class on 10/05/05.
The title page should include
- the title of the paper
- group member name(s) and email address(es)
- course name, number, and instructor's name
- a maximum 300-word abstract
- three to five keywords.
For research papers, the main content of the proposal should include
- (4 points) A summary of the research problem you plan to study.
- (3 points) Motivation of the proposed problem (i.e., why do you study this
- (3 points) A summary of the possible techniques you plan to use to address
- (4 points) Justification about why you believe you can solve the problem.
- (4 points) Expected result and a plan for validation.
- (2 points) A reference list with at least 5 relevant papers.
- (10 points extra credit) You can get up to 10 points
extra credit if you include initial results.
For survey papers, the main content should include the following:
- (4 points) A summary of the research field you plan to survey.
- (2 points) Justification about why do plan to survey this field.
- (4 points) A classification scheme of the techniques in your selected field.
- (4 points) A classification of the techniques in your reference list with
your classification scheme. You need to map each paper you cite to one of
- (4 points) A summary of the trends in your selected field. Give evidences
for your decision.
- (2 points) A reference list with at least 20 references.